Wallpaper entitled "Hope"

From SpookyWallpapers

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Curiouser and such...


I am not much of a TV watcher. I prefer to read and listen to music. My other half, however, cannot be home without the TV on at its loudest volume, while also online looking through YouTube videos with that volume at an ear-piercing level. Unfortunately, he also wants to constantly replay the videos so I can watch them. Imagine my happiness. The cacophony is mind-numbing to me. I can't think at all, certainly can't read with any hope of understanding. And that is only one of the reasons he and I live in separate parts of the house.

However, last night I saw the preview for Alice's new movie. She has been very low key about it due to the competition between her and Dorothy. Now that the release date is close, she has barely been able to contain her excitement. Her story has been told many times and in different genres. Her original story was told in "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland," followed by "Through the Looking Glass," both as novels written by Lewis Carroll (English author Charles Lutwidge Dodgson). Since then, many of the adaptations have been a combination of these two stories, and in recent years the big screen has been ignored in favor of television productions. The SciFi (SyFy) channel took her story further and made a miniseries that was set 150 years after her first visit to Wonderland, entitled simply "Alice." It was a great concept, similar to Dorothy's own futuristic story on SciFi called "Tin Man." These are both worth watching.

Now, however, the genius that is Tim Burton paired with the genius that is Johnny Depp is finally bringing back Alice's story as a movie. How can it not be incredible? I'm mad to see it! If her story isn't familiar, or if it has been a long time since reading it, I recommend a bit of research. This movie is set a few years later than the original, but the characters are the same. It is a nonsensical story, often confusing to follow. Sometimes things simply do not make sense. Even Alice said "...I can't quite follow it...It would be so nice if something made sense for a change." It will be interesting to see how Mr. Burton handles her story.

Dorothy is very supportive of Alice, but I can tell that she is hoping someone will update her adventure. Yes, we all love Judy Garland's portrayal of Dorothy (Dorothy did chose her specifically), but as she says, "if they can remake Alice's story, they can certainly remake mine." Alice argued that Dorothy's story has long been the favorite and that it's her turn. Our tea parties are getting quite interesting, if not downright dangerous. Hot tea slinging does not a party make.

Perhaps I need to put in a word with Mr. Burton. Of course, he would make Dorothy's story into a darker version. The Grey Brick Road and the Drab Olive City. I'm not sure my psyche could handle it, but it would look more like me and my wardrobe.

No comments:

Post a Comment