Wallpaper entitled "Hope"

From SpookyWallpapers

Monday, May 10, 2010

It's a cruel and crazy business...


I have to confess that I'm not a movie lover. I would much rather read. It's been proven that the movie that runs in my head while I'm reading is ssooooo much better than the one that gets produced! And not to sound all miss high and mighty but even if I did like movies, I doubt I would want to even see 98% of the movies being made these days. Of course, I love the classics. And there are some movies from my childhood that never get old. But my favorite kind of movie is one that, when it's over, makes me sit still for however long it takes and rethink the whole thing. Or maybe even immediately watch it again. Because movies that make me think and have layers within layers of meaning are the best. And since most of the movies out there these days are made specifically for people who don't like to think (or who can't), that sort of counts me out at the theaters. Even if a movie trailer looks interesting, I still need to know someone who has seen it before I will go myself. This leaves me with two options: rent or buy movies, or watch them on TV. That in itself brings up another interesting twist in this tale because I seldom watch TV. I would rather read. Okay, now I think I'm going in circles.

Anyway, my other half left yesterday morning to go on a three-day trip. Having seen that the movie "Atonement" was coming on, I decided to watch it. Period pieces usually are some of my favorites simply because of the costuming and sets. However, this one never grabbed my attention. I did not like any of the three main characters at all during the first thirty minutes of the movie. Big disappointment. Normally, I would just let my other half decide what he wanted to watch, but since he wasn't home, I decided to scan the guide. What did grab my attention was "The Devil Wears Prada." I'm probably the last person in the free world who has any interest in fashion to see this movie. I didn't expect to like it. I didn't want to like it. I thought that Andrea was going to get sucked into the churning fashion machine and become a mini-Miranda. Don't get me wrong, I loved seeing all those clothes. But jeepers, how does anyone work in that business?? I think it's really like that since I saw part of reality show that tracked interns at ELLE magazine (I think). Those girls ran around town talking on their cellphones, picking up coffee and clothing from places they didn't know how to get to and all on a 30 minute deadline. They probably couldn't get out of the building in 10 minutes! Scary.

I thought where I worked was crazy...

(Image used is an untitled photographic print by Capree at Etsy.)

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, Devil Wears Prada and The September Issue made me realize that I'd never ever ever ever want to work at a fashion magazine.

    Have you seen The Fountain (by Darren Aronofsky)? Now that's a movie with layers. Super weird and artsy (my favorite type of movie really), and it has Rachel Weisz and Hugh Jackman in it. It's hard to pick since I'm a movie lover, but I think it's tied with Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind as my favorite movie. And it's probably the most gorgeous movie ever made. Make sure you rent it and watch it as on big a screen as possible.

    By the way, I hate the majority of movies out as well, and I don't even have any channels on my TV. It's only used to play DVDs (and for the man to play his video games), of which we have an extensive collection. We tend to watch our favorites quite regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi there
    reading through your blog is hard for me b/c it reminds me of tough times i've had in the past, before i was on my meds. I too suffer from depression and i've never really held down a full time job.(I teach english to adult immigrants part time). i also don't have and don't really want children, and i also get great joy from my dog. I also suffer from fatigue and am emotionally ruled by my hormonal/menstrual cycle. so there you go. its not just you by any means.

    by the way, if you want to add a link, highlight the text you want to make clickable then click on the box that says Link on top of the text area. You then get a pop-up window where you can write the url you want that text to link to. of course, I always highlight the url and press Control and C , to save the Url, then in the pop up window, I click into the place you type the url and press Control V, which copies whatever text you saved using control C.
    OK, that might have been gibberish, but whatever you want to do, type that into google and there'll be a zillion folks explaining it, usually in laymans terms, at the click of a button. or link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buff, my dear friend, I knew I could count on you for an awesome movie reference! Haven't heard of The Fountain, but I'm going to rent it soon. Rachel and Hugh are two of my favs, too! And I never did get around to seeing The Eternal Sunshine etc even though I really wanted to. My other half and I do not agree on movie genres at all. I think I'm going to sign up for Netflicks and just order whatever I want. Thanks for the suggestions!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fanci, it does sound as if we have had similar experiences. My doctor told me to journal in order to help me with the depression. I still don't know how it helps. I've written poetry and now this journal, but it seems I just talk about what is wrong, not help treat what is wrong. Thanks for the technical advice on adding a link. I haven't tried it yet. Wish me luck!!

    ReplyDelete